Sunday, March 24, 2024

Wonder your value

      Just two weeks left in the season of Lent. This week, which is the sixth, is typically used one of two ways. It is known as Palm Sunday, so many times the focus is on Jesus’s triumphal entry into Jerusalem. But this week can also be referred to as Passion Sunday, choosing to look at the suffering and death of Jesus. The latter will be where our attention is focused.

 

     For our series we have been looking at a “never again” theme God has revealed in the Old Testament when we understand Jesus is the Messiah. Today we will be in the book of Isaiah, looking at a passage that seems to point to the passion of Jesus. But while the wording may seem like a lament or psalm crying to God for help, these are words of confidence. Words of confidence for Jesus, the prophet Isaiah, and us.

 

     Isaiah 50:4-9 (CEB):

 

     The LORD God gave me an educated tongue to know how to respond to the weary with a word that will awaken them in the morning. God awakens my ear in the morning to listen, as educated people do.

 

     The LORD God opened my ear, I didn’t rebel; I didn’t turn my back. Instead, I gave my body to attackers, and my cheeks to beard pluckers. I didn’t hide my face from insults and spitting.

 

     The LORD God will help me; therefore, I haven’t been insulted. Therefore, I set my face like flint, and knew I wouldn’t be ashamed. The one who will declare me innocent is near. Who will argue with me? Let’s stand up together. Who will bring judgment against me? Let him approach me. Look! The LORD God will help me. Who will condemn me? Look, they will wear out like clothing; the moth will eat them.

 

 

This is the Word of God.

For the people of God.

Thanks be to God.

 

     When we consider the context of these verses, it is amazing. The prophet Isaiah is well before the arrival of Jesus, so in his writing this he was writing with himself as a prophet. But God inspired this writing for so much more. As we look at these verses, we will both the writer’s intention and God’s “never again” message linked to salvation through Jesus.

 

     Verse 4 says, “The LORD gave me an educated tongue to know how to respond to the weary with a word that will awaken them in the morning.” Isaiah is talking about having intimacy with God where God gives Him words to share that are just what an exhausted and wounded heart need to hear. This does not come about as an accident, but from Isaiah’s heart being yielded to God. His heart is regularly seeking to hear from God, and God illuminates Isaiah’s heart with what to say when it is the right time to say it. God gave Isaiah the power to practice his faith.

 

     In the Gospel of John, Jesus says, “My teaching isn’t mine but comes from the one who sent me.” (7:16) Again, this is not an accident. Jesus regularly made time to spend time with God. But His life was more than a morning devotional time, Jesus made intimacy with God part of every moment of His day. God gave Jesus the power to practice His faith.

 

     Verses 5 and 6 say, “The LORD God opened my ear; I didn’t rebel. I didn’t turn back. I gave my body to attackers, and my cheeks to beard pluckers. I didn’t hide my face from insults and spitting.” One would think a prophet would be revered and respected, but the Old Testament paints a much different picture. Isaiah, along with the other prophets, would face enemies among God’s people who would mock, imprison, and attack them. Spitting in this culture was the ultimate sign of disrespect. But Isaiah remained faithful to God and His call, facing that opposition. God gave Isaiah the power to persevere in his faith.

 

     The Gospels share how Jesus voluntarily endured all those same things for our salvation. All the pain physically and emotionally was real. His cry on the cross was out of real agony. But God gave Jesus the power to persevere in His faith.

 

     Remember I said that this passage collectively is one of confidence, not lament or desperation prayers for help. If we stop at verses 5 and 6, we will not see what is revealed in verses 7 through 9. Despite all the opposition, Isaiah knows the God He serves is greater than the suffering he is enduring for God’s cause. The prophet knew that if it was God’s cause, God would prove his faith before enemies and all the naysayers. It was not Isaiah’s faith that proved God true, it was Isaiah’s confidence that God’s power would vindicate him.

 

     Jesus submitted His entire life to the will of God. And as His disciples turned and fled from Him, Jesus knew God would vindicate Him. As the Romans beat Him to a bloody pulp, with every crack of that whip, Jesus knew God would prove His power through His faith. When the nails were driven through His hands and feet and the crowds heckled, Jesus knew God would vindicate Him. The story of Jesus was not finished on Friday, the story of sin was. Jesus rose again, and His resurrection was God’s power proved His plan for our salvation and Jesus as His Son who He sent as our Redeemer.

 

     What does this have to do with us? How does this connect with “Never again”? The passion of Jesus, predicted by God through the prophet Isaiah, says that never again do we have to wonder how much God values us. God loves us so much that He sent Jesus, His One and Only Son, to suffer and die for the forgiveness of our sins. Jesus was no passive bystander in God’s scheme, He faithfully surrendered Himself to suffer so sin would no longer have any grip on us.

 

     As amazing as that is, we miss what Jesus demonstrated to us in all that. God values us so much; He wants you and me to have the same relationship with Him that Jesus has. Jesus in His ministry was not trying to prove that God existed, He lived knowing that He did. His faith in God allowed God to prove His power through Christ’s surrender. And we cannot think for one second God would do anything less for us. God values us so much that He never asks us to prove His existence, but that if we live like God is real as our fundamental assumption, living for His purpose and His kingdom, then we can have the confidence that God will demonstrate His power in us and through us.

 

     How do we do that? “The LORD God opened my ear; I didn’t rebel; I didn’t turn back. I gave my body to attackers, and my cheeks to beard pluckers. I didn’t hide my face from insults and spitting.” We recognize how much God values us, then give our lives to seeing others come to the same knowledge. Even if that means we suffer at their hands, we are willing because Jesus did it for us.

 

     Do you know today how much God loves you? You are like a lost coin and lost sheep that He desperately seeks to find. Like a prodigal child, God watches for you to come down the road home so He can greet you with a warm embrace. Turn to Him. Maybe you know God values you today. But do you have the faith to live as one valued by God? You never again have to wonder your value, Jesus showed you the cost God was willing to pay, but are you willing to give your life to His kingdom cause?


 Need prayer? Have a question? Contact The Dirt Path Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's invitation

       The Church building is simply a structure of brick and mortar. Take away all the people, it is of no value except a memorial. Then ag...